May is Cystic Fibrosis (CF) awareness month. Since my partner has CFTRΔ508, this month is extremely important to my family (and, of course, my future family-in-law). CF is the most common fatal genetic disease affecting Canadian children and young adults. There is no cure for CF. The degree of severity differs from person to person but typically loss of lung function is the leading cause of death in the majority of CF patients.
The following information came from CF Canada (one of the world’s top 3 charitable organizations committed to finding a cure or control of CF). Their mission is to end CF. They will help people living with CF by funding world-class research, advocating for high-quality personalized CF care by raising and allocating funds for those purposes. CF Canada’s vision is “a world without cystic fibrosis” which is a common hash tag you will see on Instagram and Twitter.
To raise awareness for CF, I thought I would share 5 CF facts with you guys today.
CF is a genetic disease that occurs when a child inherits 2 abnormal genes, one from each parent. Approximately 1 in 25 Canadians carry an abnormal version of the gene responsible for CF. Carriers do not have CF nor do they exhibit any symptoms of the disease. When 2 carrier parents have a child, there is a 25% chance that the child will have CF and 25% chance that they will be completely unaffected by CF or the gene. The other 50% of the time, the child is also a CF carrier. This is why I need to be tested for the CF gene because the likelihood of having a child with CF with a CF partner is very high. Luckily, with reproductive technologies, you can test the embryo for CF before implanting it to avoid having a child with CF.